Where Do I Begin

Plan Your Transfer

Planning your transfer is an important step to earning your degree.  Students in Michigan have several options when it comes to transferring.  You may want to:


  • transfer a course
  • complete the Michigan Transfer Agreement
  • complete an entire associate degree before transferring to earn your bachelor's degree. 

Use the resources on this site to help plan your transfer. 



1Explore Careers

Before you select a major, think about your career interests.  Review career information online, conduct informational interviews, or job shadow professionals working in the field.  Talk with your academic advising or career services office for additional information about career exploration including tools to help you explore. 


2Select Your Major

Once you explore career options, consider what majors might be a good fit with that career. What courses are required in that major? What colleges and universities offer that major?


3Plan Your Transfer Pathway

Begin to plan your transfer pathway. What courses will you complete at the community college and what courses will you complete at the university? Use resources from the community college or university academic advising office to help plan all of the courses you will need to complete to graduate. Use the Michigan Transfer Network course equivalency database to verify that your courses will transfer between institutions.


4Consult an Advisor

Careful planning includes meeting with an advisor to get input on your career exploration and major selection and your transfer plan. Advisors from community colleges and universities are available to help. View our contact page for more information. 


5Contact Admissions

Contact the admissions office at the institution where you plan to transfer to learn more about applying, scholarships, deadlines, submitting transcripts, and how to transfer credits.



Choosing a major can be difficult.  It is critical that you explore careers and majors to develop a transfer plan. Explore resources available at our colleges and universities or speak with an academic advisor or career counselor at your college or university for help.

Colleges & Universities >